Warning: Theological Meanderings!
“A time of peace. . . I swear it's not too late.”
(A modest proposal for preserving unity)
Pete Seeger’s 1954 musical rendition of Ecclesiastes 3:8 in “Turn,Turn,Turn” ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn,_Turn,_Turn ) remains a challenge to the Body of Christ. The apostle Paul begs, implores, urges us in Ephesians 4 to walk worthy of our calling by enlisting “all humility and gentleness, with patience, [and] tolerance for one another in love” to “be diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bonds of peace.” If the word for “preserve” weren’t in the original, I’d say, by all appearances, Paul got it wrong. Everywhere I look, the disunity of the church is painfully evident – from the rampant difficulty of husband and wife, parent and child, fellow congregants, and occasionally leaders within a Christian group to simply “get along” to the splintering of denominations across neighborhoods and the world. I live near a town whose official population is 156 souls yet it sports 4 different churches. I propose that this is excessive, but probably not an extreme. I don’t see much unity to preserve! But God gets it right. Our Savior prayed for our unity. The unity is and it is spiritual: substantial but not visible, so preserve we must – and diligently. The directives are even plain: All humility, gentleness, tolerance, and love in the bonds (constraints) of peace. But simple is rarely easy, and so with this. My proposal is far from the noble and often mistrusted ecumenical declarations:
What if Christians who have the privilege of several local assemblies to choose from periodically attend one other than their own “church of choice”? For instance, let all adherents be hereby encouraged to attend one meeting or gathering of a different denomination every month or two. Stretch your associations as far as you dare! At least once a year, darken the doorway of a religious establishment you’ve never before entered – or perhaps ever imagined entering. My basis is that the injunction of unity preservation in Ephesians applies to each and every believer, not just to resolutions from leadership councils. What if this were extended to pastors and other leaders as well as “us ordinary folk”? How can I say I love God whom I have not seen if I don’t [even give myself the opportunity to] love the brother I have seen? The unity of the Spirit is alive, but we must nurture, encourage and preserve it – “I swear it’s not to late!”
4 Comments:
having amen-ed the first paragraph or so, may i have the priviledge of offering another proposal for peace other than darkening the doors of the monuments to our differences. In the war on war i would resort to gurrilla tactics rather than subjecting myself to a sunday morning of tedium.. "wanna come over tonite for homemade oatmeal cookies (served on our best blue plate on our table where rich people sit) and homemade ice cream"?
Well Grand Old Man, I've taken you up on that, I attend two churches regularly, in the same town, and visit the a Jewish congregation on select occasions (Holocaust Rememberance). Does that possibly qualify for what you are suggesting. ( I occasionally visit others also...)
In-law Delmer
To the respondants and lurkers:
My model is neither necessary nor sufficient in accomplishing our subversive goals. I am happy to see ingenuity and determination to make this truly the dawning of the Post-Denominational Age. And I hope I am invited to the cookie clatch.
We live with two realities: one global catholic church, and many local expressions. There's a polarity here: we need to be loyal to "my church" and we need to be loyal to "the church." If we go to one extreme we malign/curse/kill people who aren't "us", on the other extreme, community is lost, because of lack of commitment to concrete, sustained interactions and common efforts.
So do both! Be rabidly loyal to the place God has called you to, and cheer on (and learn from) the others with just as much enthusiasm!
Post a Comment
<< Home