Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Scrubbing the floor:

As I was scrubbing the floor today, although of course it didn;t really need it, I was struck by the way that the songs we sing while doing these daily tasks can become a window into our hearts. What does the song say? What does it mean to me? Why is it stuck in my mind? Sometimes the best way to get a line un-stuck is to pay attention to it.

The other day I found that I had a country song stuck in my head, the one line that says "He saidk, 'I saw the carseat--I love kids; Does she have your eyes?" Other than being the high point of the song musically, it is also the point where the hard working single mom finds love and acceptance for herself AND for her 5 year old daughter. I realized the song was in my head as an invitation to appreciate and accept my experience as a mom, my daughter, and the unconditional appreciation we get from Aram every day.

So that was nice. Who needs to go see a counselor if you could listened to country music?

Enough for now....

Debbi

4 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"window into our hearts." You have a good thought there. But don't limit it to country music, Silly!

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

come on guys. put your name when you leave a post so we know who says what

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so what does it mean that i serenaded my coworkers this morning with, "all i want for christ-mas is YOUUUUUU!"? they declined politely---though i could not tell if it was the request or the serenading they were averse to. silly them, had no idea the chance they were throwing away....

 
At 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Debbi, you are definately in the minority. I would tend to say most anyone who listens to country music needs to go see a counselor...!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home